Thursday, October 12, 2006

Good Game ... Not!

Well I missed the football match last night as it was on early. I didn’t get home from work until after it started (hurrah for the coaches!) and I really couldn’t be bothered to go back out, opting instead for doing a bit of catching up with all the episodes of Lost that I’d recorded but hadn’t yet had the opportunity to watch and of course, the wonderful American Gothic (it was fab!). From what I hear I really didn’t miss anything by not watching it – we played like crap again, I could tell this by the scoreline without even being told about how dreadful we were. I did apparently miss a good punch up in the pub though – thanks for letting me know about that Andrew.

Feeling a bit aggrieved today about the lack of decent cafe’s in the part of central London that I work in. And I don't mean those over-priced coffee houses like Starbucks of which there are a million within walking distance of my office, I mean the good old fashioned greasy spoon – the ‘cup of tea and a bacon sarnie’ type of place. When I first started working up here there were several of these establishments – a great cheap place to have breakfast with friends, containing a variety of colourful characters, both eating and working there, but over the years each has closed and re-opened as a new coffee house or mobile phone shop. The last of these great places was the marvellous ‘Fast and Tasty Cafe’ under the arches, which Annette and I visited regularly. I had been there with work colleagues having an occasional informal breakfast meeting. It was here that Lynne and I would have our breakfast before heading off to the Chelsea Flower Show. Sad to say this too has now closed. At some point in the 5 weeks that Annette and I were away from work on our holidays they closed, and there is nothing to show that they are likely to re-open, and no-one seems to know why they went, as they were always busy. We have tried the nearest sandwich bar, but the service was slow, the tea was foul, the bacon sandwich was badly cooked and to cap it all it was expensive. This leaves us with only a trip to MacDonald’s if we wish to continue having breakfast together – not, I am sure anyone would agree, ideal by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes progress really isn’t progress at all!

No comments: