Friday, October 20, 2006

Hurrah for Skype!

Well my reservations at all 4 restaurants have been confirmed and all thanks to skype. I figured it was probably going to be the cheapest way to call the US, so I quickly signed up for €10 (the least I could sign up for) – this also apparently entitles me to free landline calls anywhere in the UK for the next 6 months! So 2 minutes later and I was ready to call. I had no problems getting through to any of the restaurants (although there was a few minute wait for Commander’s Palace), the sound quality was excellent and all were able to give me the reservations I wanted. Upperline especially, seemed very pleased to be receiving a visitor from the UK and asked me loads of questions about where I was from etc. All the reservationists (their term so I found out hanging onto the phone for Commanders) were incredibly helpful and friendly and really made the booking process a pleasure. Hopefully that’s an indication of the service yet to come. What I forgot to say was that the 3 calls which totalled about 15 minutes in length cost me €0.16. I am impressed!

So I now need to find a dual phone (one that can be used for landline & skype). I desperately need a new phone anyway as mine has been working intermittently for years, and as I have 6 months of free calls to make I may as well make the best use of it and use a proper phone. Never could get used to talking into the microphone thingy and I always manage to lose it when a call is incoming *LOL*.

No comments: